Mental Health First Aid Courses
One in five adults experiences a mental health problem every year, yet only about 1/3 receive professional help to aid recovery and maintain life, loves and livelihoods. Why? Because, most people don’t recognise the early signs of mental illness and though others may want to help, they don’t know how and are worried they could say the wrong thing and make matters worse, so they say nothing but watch on, feeling helpless. It doesn’t have to be this way.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) courses teach people to recognise and support others who may be at risk of developing a mental illness or who may be experiencing a mental health crisis. MHFA enables individuals to gain knowledge and confidence to talk about mental health issues with friends, family and colleagues so they can provide information and support to gain access the services that can help. MHFA covers depression, anxiety, psychosis and substance misuse and provides guidelines for responding to a range of crisis situations such as panic attacks, suicidal thoughts and behaviours, acute psychotic episodes and overdoses.
At MIFNQ we offer seven different Mental Health First Aid courses:
- Standard Mental Health First Aid Course
- Mental Health First Aid for Suicidal Persons
- Workplace Mental Health First Aid
- Mental Health First Aid for Tertiary Students
- Youth Mental Health First Aid
- Blended Mental Health First Aid Courses (on-line and face to face learning)
- Mental Health First Aid for Medical Students