The services that are delivered by the Family Carers and Individual Services team include:
- One to one counselling
- Family counselling
- Education and information sessions
- Carer Respite – Townsville, Burdekin, Charters Towers
The Family Carers and Individual Services (FCI) team are recovery focused as well as adopting a trauma informed focus as outlined in the Adult Surviving Child Abuse (ASCA) Practice guidelines for the Treatment of Complex Trauma.
The services include:
The key principles of trauma informed care that affect service delivery are:
SAFETY, TRUSTWORTHINESS, CHOICE, COLLABORATION and EMPOWERMENT.
This means that we value and support:
- Maintaining a safe and welcoming environment
- Provide clear information and reasons about what we do and why
- Provide people with choices and flexibility in the services they receive
- We work with people and not for people (promoting recovery, self-advocacy and self-determination
- Honour that people are the experts of their own lives
- Have a focus on enhancing the skills and abilities of the people that the counselors work with
MIFNQ FCI teams work closely with families of people who have a mental illness. There is a growing body of evidence that suggests families themselves suffer severe and prolonged distress, particularly if they provide long term care for the ill family member. At times it can be called secondary trauma (Wyder and Bland, 2014). There is also financial and interpersonal stress to consider. Family members can experience a loss of identity within their familial relationships when they take on the carer role. Most often than not, family members may not understand the impact a mental illness has, not only on the individual family member but more importantly themselves. Family members can at times be left out in the cold when it comes to support for the individual and their perspective not taken into account.
MIFNQ FCI Teams work with families as a whole as well as individual members to overcome some of the issues they are faced with, and how that looks depends on the needs of the family and or individual.